Archeological evidence shows that humans have attempted to replace missing teeth with root form implants dating back to ancient China! Currently, there are millions of people that live with no natural teeth in one or both jaws, but you do not have to be one of them. According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, 3 million people have dental implants with another 500,000 added per year.
While our ancient ancestors may have used bamboo pegs or other precious metals available at the time as root replacements, today’s implants consist of surgical grade material such as titanium. These artificial root devices stay in the bone beneath the gums where they become fused into the jaw. A crown is then mounted on top of the implant once placed for a natural-looking smile. Favored by both patients and Dr. Krawatsky for their form and function in replacing a single missing or damaged tooth to restoring a complete smile, they also prevent bone atrophy in the jaw.
Will Dental Implants Work for Me?
Candidates for dental implants are those that are missing, have broken or severely decayed teeth and are in general good health overall. You will need to schedule a consultation with Dr. Krawatsky to determine if you have enough bone support and the healthy gums needed to support the new tooth structure.
Once determined that you will be an ideal candidate for the dental implants the process typically takes about six to nine months to complete.
What is the Process?
Starting with a surgical procedure during which you will be sedated and anesthetized while a titanium rod is placed where the tooth root once was. This part of the process will take about one to two hours. After placement, the gums are sutured shut over the implant where it will stay for several months to healing and fusing with the surrounding bone. Once healed, you will return to be fitted for permanent crowns and have them placed.
After the implantation is complete, it is okay to experience some discomfort, including bruising and swelling of the area. Dr. Krawatsky may use over the counter medication, or a prescription to help pain management and inflammation. If you think your situation may be right for dental implants schedule a consultation at Aberdeen Dentistry today.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have multiple advantages, including:
• Improved appearance. Designed to fuse with bone, they become fixed and feel like real teeth.
• Speech Improvement. Poor-fitting dentures cause the teeth to slip within the mouth forcing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you the freedom to speak without the worry that teeth might move.
• Improved comfort. Once a part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
• Easier eating. Sliding dentures make chewing difficult. Dental implants perform like your teeth, letting you eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
• Improved self-esteem. Dental implants return your smile and boost self-esteem.
• Improved oral health. With dental implants, there is no need to reduce other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Since nearby teeth are not changed to support the implant, more of your teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants allow easier access between teeth, enhancing oral hygiene.
• Sturdiness. Implants are very durable and will last many years. Proper care and maintenance will maintain implants for many years.
• Convenience. Dental implants are part of you. No need for the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures with, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Why Aberdeen Dentistry?
When you come to our dental practice in Boynton Beach, your complete health is our number one priority. We honestly feel that by selecting us, you have picked the friendliest and most professional dental office in Boynton Beach, Florida and nearby Lake Worth.
Dr. Hillary Krawatsky and the entire team at Aberdeen Dentistry are committed to giving you the personalized, gentle care that you and your family both want and deserve. At Aberdeen Dentistry, we believe that a healthy body starts with a healthy smile.
Connect with us:
- TWITTER: https://twitter.com/dentistboynton
- GOOGLE+: https://plus.google.com/u/1/+AberdeenDentistryBoyntonBeach
- TUMBLR: https://aberdeen-dentistry.tumblr.com
- INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/boyntondentist
Follow Aberdeen Dentistry’s YouTube page for more testimonials and helpful videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwZxouVx1D9QJ0B2qE7mEdg